Mission, Vision and Values
Mission: To improve oral health and quality of life through the education of oral health professionals and scientists, the conduct of research, the promotion of health and disease prevention, and the delivery of oral health care to communities throughout the state and beyond.
Vision: To be the Dental School of Choice
Fulfillment of this vision is measured by our ability to:
- offer unique and innovative educational experiences;
- set the standard for education of the oral health professional of the future;
- provide unsurpassed opportunities for students, faculty and staff;
- cultivate a passion for teaching, research, patient care and service among faculty and staff;
- provide state-of-the-art clinical, educational and research facilities;
- expand knowledge and practice through world-class research;
- deliver comprehensive, leading-edge patient care and state-wide access to care;
- and enhance the quality of the academic culture.
- People and Diversity
- Ethical Behavior
- Innovation and Flexibility
- Positive Relationships and Trust
NJDS Strategic Plan (2008-2014)
The NJDS pre-doctoral, postgraduate, postdoctoral and continuing education curricula will be innovative, relevant, and flexible and supported by state-of-the-art technology and research.
- Set the standard for the future of oral health education;
- Increase interdisciplinary linkages with particular emphasis on the relationship between medical and dental sciences;
- Integrate state-of-the-art technology throughout the curricula; and
- Provide academic and clinical experiences through which students learn to deliver comprehensive oral health care.
NJDS faculty members will expand knowledge in oral health through meaningful, high-quality research.
- Strategically develop nationally renowned research centers; and
- Increase and promote research activities.
People throughout New Jersey and beyond will choose NJDS as their preferred source of oral health care.
- Improve health through access to and delivery of care to the residents of New Jersey;
- Enhance clinical efficiency while optimizing quality of care;
- Increase the scope(variety/diversity)and number of patients receiving care at NJDS; and
- Develop new and enhance existing centers of excellence.
The relationship between NJDS and the community will be mutually beneficial
- Enhance public recognition of NJDS as a significant contributor to community well-being; and
- Increase financial support.
The NJDS faculty members will be knowledgeable, dynamic and experts in their areas.
- Attract and retain a renowned faculty;
- Increase opportunities for scholarly advancement;
- Cross-educate basic, clinical and social science faculty members; and
- Broaden the scope and diversity of our faculty, as part of an ever-changing environment.
Infrastructure and facilities will support the mission and goals of NJDS.
- Review and update the NJDS Facilities Plan; and
- Provide a state-of-the-art environment to support delivery of the curricula, provision of patient care and conduct of research.
The Core Values of NJDS will shape the behaviors and actions throughout the school, resulting in a positive academic climate and high morale.
- Promote an environment of trust, integrity, collegiality, collaboration, innovation and flexibility;
- Enhance the academic culture;
- Create systems that recognize and reward outstanding performance;
- Reduce dependence of state appropriations by diversifying revenue; and
- Attract and retain a high-quality, diverse student body