New Jersey Dental School graduated its first class of students over forty years ago. The school was established as part of the Seton Hall College of Medicine and Dentistry, admitting its first students in 1956. It was the first successful program in dental education to be established in New Jersey. From its modest beginnings as a struggling private institution, the school has grown into the state's major resource for dental education and research. In 1965, the Seton Hall complex was acquired by the state. Three years later, the medical school moved into Newark, occupying temporary quarters near the Martland Medical Center. The dental school remained at the Jersey City location until the completion of its permanent facilities in Newark early in 1976.
The school awards the Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree upon completion of a comprehensive four-year program. In addition, educational programs are offered in every field of dental study, from continuing education for practicing dentists to training in toothbrushing for school-age youngsters.
New Jersey Dental School offers graduate dental educational specialty training in five areas: Endodontics, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics and in Advanced Education in General Dentistry. Hospital residencies are offered in General Practice and in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (which leads to a Doctor of Medicine degree). A fellowship in Oral Medicine is also available. The dental school also serves as a clinical training site for programs of the UMDNJ-School of Health Related Professions in Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene.